The University of Chicago is a private research institution with a strong history and dedication to education quality, located in the lively, diverse city of Chicago. Founded in 1890, UChicago has long been a national leader in research, academic rigor, and cutting-edge technology. Known for its strong humanities and social science programs—particularly its economics department—the University of Chicago houses Nobel Prize-winning faculty and over 15,000 students from all walks of life. The school is also known for its deep commitment to social justice, and it has projects centered around economics and poverty, the environment, and global health. For students hoping to access a vibrant campus culture at an excellent Midwestern school, the University of Chicago is an incredible option.
1. Fundamentals: University of Chicago students, faculty and alumni perform a complex swing dance known as "Fundamentals" each year at the University's reunion weekend.
2. Rubbing the Russell: It‚Äôs believed that if you rub the staff of sculptor Henry Hering‚Äôs Russell on the Main Quad at the University of Chicago, you will get an A in your next class.
3. Scav-Hunt: The world-renowned Scavenger Hunt is a five day event hosted by the student organization organization, the Hysterical Society. Teams compete to complete tasks, photo challenges, and other odd tasks for the chance to win a trophy.
4. Kerplunk: Every year, the University of Chicago holds an unofficial competition called ‚ÄúKerplunk,‚Äù in which teams compete to build an intricate, motorized sculpture and have it reach the top of the campus' tallest building.
5. Student Court: Each year, the University of Chicago holds a unique mock trial competition called the Student Court, in which students must put on a fully-staged trial in order to prove the innocence or guilt of one of the University's most famous alumni.
1. Student Government: University of Chicago‚Äôs elected Student Government is a student-led organization that focuses on creating a more vibrant and passionate campus community. They host programming and advocate on behalf of students on a wide range of issues.
2. debate Team: The University of Chicago debate Team engages in preparation and research to compete with the highest levels of collegiate debate. It offers a unique space for students to both improve their debating skills and learn the importance of civic engagement.
3. Maroon Investment Group: This unique club provides University of Chicago students with the opportunity to develop their financial knowledge and to create and manage a real-world portfolio of local stocks and mutual funds.
4. Music Association: This student-run music association provides support for budding student musicians and creative expression. Through events, like jams and artist meetups, the Music Association provides a safe and collaborative space for students to explore various genres of music.
5. International House: Located near the main campus, the International House is a unique living space for students from all over the world to live together and develop a global perspective. The house also offers a range of educational, cultural and social activities that promote global understanding and cross-cultural exchange.
At a glance…
To prevent plagiarism, we've disabled printing on AdmitYogi. We're sorry for the inconvenience!
Real Essays from UChicago Admits
Prompt: How does the University of Chicago, as you know it now, satisfy your desire for a particular kind of learning, community, and future? Please address with some specificity your own wishes and how they relate to UChicago.
UChicago was the first college I toured and set the tone for what I believe a university should be. The most visible asset was the beautiful gothic campus, but as I toured I found much deeper value. Seeing the many interdisciplinary majors, I realized UChicago is committed to breaking conventional vocations and expanding a breadth of knowledge for all students. I’m intrigued by the Philosophy and Allied Fields major, in particular Philosophy and Economics or Mathematics. For someone who has many interests which are amplified when studied together, this is the perfect environment to foster that synergy.
In addition, UChicago’s urban location offers a unique opportunity to put the skills I would develop into practice. Chicago would be an ideal place to continue my passion for promoting invention education. Illinois lacks such a developed curriculum but has great potential for the program, particularly in underserved communities and with native Spanish-speakers.
In the same way that I am presenting myself to universities on this application, universities are presenting their values to me with what they ask me to include. It speaks volumes that the main essay for UChicago is the most creative and least directly academic prompt imaginable (and the only essay I zealously enjoyed writing in the application process). It signifies that regardless of a student's background or achievements, the University is interested most importantly in the way they think. UChicago has consistently demonstrated a commitment to fostering minds that find connections, my ideal college community.
Essay by Gabriel Mesa
Incoming History Ph.D. student at Yale interested in Physics, Early Soviet History, and Choral Music!
Find an essay from your twin at UChicago
Someone with the same interests, stats, and background as you